NCICU is the state office for private, non-profit colleges in North Carolina
- NCICU is comprised of 36 nonprofit, private liberal arts, research, and comprehensive colleges and universities across North Carolina.
- From traditional four-year coeducational institutions to women’s colleges to historically black colleges and universities, NCICU colleges and universities offer the full spectrum of the college experience. The oldest private two-year college in the nation also is part of the NCICU family.
- North Carolina independent colleges and universities serve the needs of:
– 66,628 undergraduate students
– 23,406 graduate and professional students
– 53% of students are from North Carolina
- More than 90% of the students on some campuses receive financial aid.
- NCICU’s colleges and universities award nearly 1 in 4 bachelor’s degrees in the state, and 1 in 3 graduate and professional degrees, including 62% of the medical degrees, 64% of the law degrees, 37% of the masters in Nursing, 89% of physician assistant degrees and 60% of the pharmacy degrees.
- Independent colleges and universities in North Carolina provided nearly $900 million in institutional aid in 2018-2019, which equates to 48% of the total financial assistance received by students at North Carolina’s independent colleges and universities.
- North Carolina students at independent colleges and universities receive more than $89 million in need-based financial aid from the state.
- The independent colleges’ sector is one of the largest private employers in the state.
- Almost 1,300 individuals lead North Carolina’s independent colleges and universities through service on individual Boards of Trustees.
- Our student bodies are as diverse as our campuses. In 2018, approximately 57% of students were women, 40% were students of color and 47% of the undergraduate students attending our independent colleges and universities came from out of state.
- 50% of NC students at NCICU campuses receive federal Pell Grants.
- Each year, approximately 2,000 students transfer from community colleges in North Carolina to an independent college or university.