Federal work-study awards give students the opportunity to gain part-time work experience in their field at an hourly rate equal to or higher than federal minimum wage, depending on the type of work and the skills required. To be considered for this type of funding, you must indicate that you're interested in work-study on your FAFSA.

The total award depends not only on your financial need, but also on the amount that has been awarded to your college by the Department of Education. After funds are awarded to the college or university, it's up to that institution to administer the funds. Once those funds have been administered, no other students can participate in work-study during that year. The key is to complete and send in your FAFSA early. Click here to get started.